Sunday, May 27, 2012

Edging for baby socks


Finished baby sock edging

I love making baby things!  But somehow I never seem to finish them before the baby has grandchildren.  So I love this idea that a friend showed me, crochet edged baby socks.   All you need are a package of 0 - 3 month socks some crochet thread 10 or perl cotton size 8 and a hook about a size 4 or comfortable for the size thread.  My friend then adds plastic beads but that worries me for baby socks but they are cool looking.  So I just doodle edgings.  To make the edging make a slip knot and push the hook through the sock, yarn over and pull a loop through the sock, chain 1 and then evenly stitch single crochets around the sock.  If you slightly stretch the sock it is easier to get the hook in the sock.  Also if you look for the perl stitch and place the single crochet in each perl it is easy to get them evenly spaced.  I don't bother to count stitches.  Slip stitch into the first single crochet.  Chain 1 and then place a single crochet in the first single crochet of previous row.  Skip two single crochets and place five double crochets in the next stitch.  Skip two stitches and single crochet in the next stitch, repeat around the sock.  When there are only two or three repeats left count the stitch left and adjust your stitching.  For instants I had one extra single stitch so I skipped three stitches instead of two at the end.  Then slip stitch into the first single crochet to complete the round.  End of and run the thread ends to finish.  Place several in a basket or use to decorate a diaper cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment