Friday, July 27, 2012

Bobbin Lace Adventures

If Alice can fall down a rabbit hole then I should be able to do the cloth stitch!  What a wonderful way to start the day.  Having a pillow setup and ready to practise on.  I've been trying to learn bobbin lace since I was 25 and didn't even know what it was called.  The teacher didn't know how to do bobbin lace but she knew what it was called.  She also couldn't teach stumpwork but I've started learning it with the help of some fantastic books.

Spangling my bobbins was the best thing I've done to learn bobbin lace.  The spangles do a lot to keep the bobbins from rolling away.  It is also easier to see where I am in the pattern.  The cloth stitch starts by moving the matching bobbins over each other and then ends with matching bobbins back together.  It is so much easier.  Perhaps tomorrow I will try another stitch.  I've met a few people who have actually learned bobbin lace and they all told me the same thing, follow the book 'Bobbin Lacemaking' by Doris Southard.  I've always gotten impatient and tried skipping ahead before I know the stitches.  Then I get frustrated because I have to keep looking at the stitch instructions.  So I will keep making the cloth titch until I dream making it!  I'm really determined to learn this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment