Friday, July 20, 2012

Dressing up a Wood Elf Pincushion

The cats woke me up at 5:00 AM screaming at each other.  I'm ready to put them in a box at the grocery store.  They were 5 inches apart and my cat meant business.  I went out and stood between them and the white face cat backed down and tried to be friendly.  So I started working on the wood elf pincushion.

The quilting was a bit of work.  I can only work for 10 to 20 minutes at a time and then rest for 30 minutes.  It is slow making things but I am persistent!  The psychologist was insistent that I work on projects because creativity was necessary for balancing brain chemicals.  Or she thought so anyway.  Today I got the paperwork declaring me permanently disabled.  It usually takes 2 years and several appeals.  It only took them 5 months to decide on my case.  My private disability insurance only took 11 days to decide.  I'm thankful but I keep hoping that it is all a dream and I'll wake up and be better and able to do things again!  I am thankful that I can still do somethings.  And that I have Lee to help me.  Enough wallowing, back to crafting.

The leaf body had some problems.  The fabric I used raveled and the seams were to small.  I will have to redo the leaf body but I will find something to do with this one.  So early this morning I played with pieces of lace to hide the body and ceramic joins.  I took pictures to show some of the ideas I came up with.



Arms and head joined to leaf body.



This piece of lace was made by me practising bobbin lace.


.
This is a lace insert I purchased at the dollar
store.  It was dyed using a blue fabric paint
.



Back of pincushion with lace wrapped like a shawl.



Another view of insert.


Yet another view.  Reminds me of Time lords.



Small triangular lace edging.



Small triangular lace edging wrapped like a crown.



Small triangular lace edging as a collar.



Leaf shaped lace edge.



Another view of leaf lace edge. 
Even more like a Time Lord!


Another piece of dollar a yard lace.



Back view of dollar a yard lace.



Lovely lace edge.



Lace edge as crown.


Piece of lace I bought today.  It is netted lace
with a
design that looks like french knots.


French knot lace used as a sleeve.


It was fun wrapping the wood elf in different pieces of lace.  I like the pincushion even if it is a bit out of the ordinary.  I made the sleeves out of the netted lace and they came out perfect.  Now to decide how to dress her.  I am thinking of something simple and then decorate with a few seed beads and a bug bead. 

I also bought some sewing thread in three shades of blue and a black spool.  Those I will use to embroider the stumpwork butterfly again.  One thread of floss was just to thick to get the shading I wanted.  But that is for yet another pincushion!  We will see what I can come up with tomorrow!









No comments:

Post a Comment