Saturday, July 28, 2012

Stumpwork Butterfly Finished and Bobbin Lace Bookmark

Outline being embroidered over 26 gauge wire.


Finished Butterfly is 3/4 inch by 1 inch.



Wings finished and ready to apply to pincushion.


Today was very quiet.  It gave me a chance to finish the blue stumpwork butterfly.  It came out really nice, changing to sewing thread gave me a lot more control of the shading.  It got a little fluff on it that wouldn't come off so I embroidered over the area and that actually worked.  Together the wings are 3/4 inch by 1 inch long.  There are hundreds of stitches in the butterfly and it took a lot of hours to make.  Now just to decide how best to display it on the wood elf pincushion.  Lee kept me entertained by reading to me while I stitched away.

I have also been practising  the cloth stitch and have made a nice bookmark.  Also I read for a time from the book "Beginner's Guide to Bobbin Lace" by Gilian Dye and Adrienne Thunder.  The book is about Torchon bobbin lace.  Torchon lace is worked on the diagonal and I rather like it.  But as always I jumped ahead without to much worry about the basics.  I've gone back now and realized I really need to start at the beginning of this book also.  I would like to be able to make spiders.  But for now I need to practise the whole throw stitch until it is easy to remember.  Having the spangles on the bobbins has made it so much faster to work and to know when I have made a mistake.  Anyway here is a picture of my cloth stitch bookmark.  Very simple looking but I'm proud!


Bobbin Lace Cloth Stitch Bookmark.

No comments:

Post a Comment