Friday, August 24, 2012

More Ribbon Roses

Just because I can, I played with ribbon roses again today.  In fact I stayed up until 4:30 AM making flowers.  It was fun but I had to get some finer ribbon to make some of the single petal roses.  You start with a ribbon about 1 inch in width and then move up to the wider ribbon.  It gives a more realistic look to the flowers. So this morning I added layers to the rose sewn to crinoline and it came out gorgeous!

 
I can't decide if it looks like a rose or a cinnamon roll!  The picture doesn't do it justice.  After I played with the crinoline rose I made an old fashioned rose that the books call a folded rose with a gathered extension.  That means that you roll the ribbon into a roll in the center.  Then run a gathering stitch in the remaining ribbon and gather it and wrap it around the center.  They don't make realistic roses but they are cute and easy to make.  They seemed to have been very popular around the 1920s.  I like them with a different ribbon for the wrapping.  Here is the one I made using the off-white recycled ribbons.
 
 
Very simple and cute, these were worn on clothing and hats.  They look really cute bunched together on a hat.  So now to work on some other flower designs!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment