Thursday, January 3, 2013

Coconut Cake

I have been playing with coconuts today.  After sending a box I came home and started processing the coconuts.  The recipe I am using is from Alton Brown and calls for a fresh coconut.  He recommends draining the coconut and then heating it in the oven for 15 minutes to crack it open.  That didn't work but it did make the coconut easier to peel and it tasted better.  The other coconut was unheated and just bashed to open it.  Then the coconut was to be shredded and steeped in milk to make coconut milk and cream.  Instead of trying to shred it I used the nutrition center and extracted the liquid directed.  The flakes of coconut were then toasted and came out very yummy. The extracted coconut liquid was amazingly sweet.  The second coconut was put through the nutrition center three times and the coconut had actually turned to butter!  Never would have believed that could happen!  So now that the coconut is all ready I will make the cake tomorrow.  My only worry is how much fiber came out into the liquid!  This has been a lot of fun so far and I can't wait to start the cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment